We aim to provide Memory boxes within 2-4 weeks to each bereaved child registering with us. They act as a conduit between us and the child, enabling parents and carers to introduce our support services. The boxes include a notebook, pen or pencil, tissues, a specially designed rainbow wish bracelet and a knitted Rainbow bear which can be used for comfort or as a worry bear. The boxes are large enough for children to store small treasured items and special photographs and memories.
We provide books free of charge to beneficiaries and schools (£30 budget for schools). To order a schools pack please go to https://www.harrysrainbow.co.uk/view/schools.
Relevant books and resources are discussed with a parent or carer for relevance before we provide these, as children's circumstances and emotional intelligence can very much vary. Here is a short list of some of the books we use, most of which we purchase from Amazon UK or known authors.
We regularly research new titles so if you have any suggestions please let us know!
- Water Bugs & Dragonflies, Doris Stickney
- Michael Rosen's Sad Book
- Badgers Parting Gifts, Susan Varley
- My Brother and Me, Sarah Courtauld
- I Miss My Sister, Sarah Courtauld
- Always and Forever, Alan Durant
- The Day the Sea Went Out and Never Came Back, Margot Sunderland
- Muddles, Puddles and Sunshine, Winston's Wish
- My Book About Mev
- Rabbityness, Jo Empson
- The Little Flower Bulb, Eleanor Gormally
- Remembering, Dianne Leutner
- What Happened to Daddy's body? Ekle Barber, Alex Barber
- Is Daddy Coming Back in a Minute? Elke Barber, Alex Barber
- Missing Mummy, Rebecca Cobb
- A Teenage Guide to Coping with Bereavement, Sarah Darwen
- Remembering Mummy Memory Book, Maria Newfield
- Remembering Daddy Memory Book, Maria Newfield
- Help Me Say Goodbye, Janis Silverman
- Sad isn't bad, Michaelene Mundy
- I Miss You: A first look at Death, Pat Thomas
- Basil, Clare Luther